Schedule: August 2022 Intake
- Total contact time: 22 hours
- Estimated time for optional readings weekly: 1 hour
Session 0 (Introductory Session): 13 August, Saturday, 10am – 12.00pm
Session 1: 20 August, Saturday, 10am – 12.30pm
Session 2: 27 August, Saturday, 10am – 12.30pm
Session 3: 3 September, Saturday, 10am – 12.30pm
Session 4: 10 September, Saturday, 10am – 12.30pm
Session 5: 17 September, Saturday, 10am – 12.30pm
Session 6: 24 September, Saturday, 10am – 12.30pm
Session 7: 1 October September, Saturday, 10am – 12.30pm
Session 8: 8 October, Saturday, 10am – 12.30pm
ITE College Central, 2 Ang Mo Kio Drive, Blk D, Level 2, #D201B, Enterprise Development Centre, Singapore 567720
Able to converse in sign language, and wondering what more you can do with this skill?
We understand that diving into a sign language interpreting programme feels intimidating — which is why this course is designed to plug that gap. The programme will give you a taster of what the sign language interpreting profession has to offer, and the kind of skills you’ll need to hone. Students will be guided by experienced sign language interpreters, both Deaf and hearing, through theoretical and practical class components. These include interpreting simulations, translation exercises, job shadowing and mentorship opportunities.
- Learn the fundamentals of interpreting strategies
- Appreciate the language variation present in the local Deaf community
- Unpack audism and how it impacts the role of the interpreter
- Build basic awareness of how language works through understanding prosodic cues of English and SgSL
- Acquire the use of common classifiers and apply them when interpreting
Hearing SgSL learners who are interested to have a taste of what sign language interpreting is like
Please let us know if you have any access requirements in the registration form, and we will do our best to work with you to provide them.
- Age 18 years old and above
- Fluent in SgSL – able to hold regular conversations with native SgSL users
- At least one year of interacting and working with the Deaf community
- Applicants will go through an interview to be assessed on their SgSL fluency and suitability for the programme.
- Eligible persons with disabilities can be reimbursed for the course fees under the Temasek-Trust CDC Lifelong Learning Enabling Fund.
- Learn more about the Fund at this website: SG Enable — Temasek-Trust CDC Lifelong Learning Enabling Fund.
Alternative Forms of Payment
At Equal Dreams, we strongly believe that cost should not be a barrier to an individual’s learning and development.
- If you would like to explore alternative forms of payment for the course fees, do indicate in the registration form, and our team will follow up with you on it once you’ve passed the interview.
Registration is Closed.
- Early bird registration (on and before 30 July 2022): SGD$250 per pax
- Standard registration (after 30 July 2022): SGD$280 per pax
Note: Your place will only be confirmed upon payment, on a first come first served basis. There’s no refund of programme fees once paid, unless the programme is cancelled.
Opportunities Upon Programme Completion
Suitable participants will be invited to undergo job shadowing and mentorship opportunities. From there, they may also be invited to join the Equal Dreams accessibility team. We are open to flexible arrangements including full time, part time, freelance, traineeship or internship.
This programme is designed and conducted by:
- Low Jarn May: Programme Advisor, Deaf Interpreter
- Azzam Akbar: Programme Lead & Instructor, Singapore Sign Language Interpreter
- Evelyn Chye: Programme Instructor, Singapore Sign Language & Speech-to-Text Interpreter
- Jessica Mak: Programme Instructor, Deaf Interpreter
- Clara Chee: Programme Instructor, Singapore Sign Language & Speech-to-Text Interpreter